August 23, 2022


All foreign nationals, including Green Card holders, are required to keep the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) informed of their current address.

This is particularly important when foreign national submits an application/petition on his/her own or employer submits an application/petition on foreign national’s behalf, and expects a notification of a decision on that application, petition, or request.

The law requires a change of address request to be submitted within 10 calendar days. Note that changing your address with the U.S. Postal Service will not change your address with USCIS.

Most individuals can change their address in two ways:  (1) through existing USCIS online account or using following web link: https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do or (2) by filing Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card.

Victims of Domestic Violence, Trafficking, and Other Crimes; and anyone filing for Form I-751 Abuse Waivers are required to mail properly filled AR-11 to the USCIS’ Vermont Service Center.

Timely submitting a change of address request will ensure you receive all correspondence and benefits from USCIS in a timely manner and avoid possible delays related to your case.

Even a U.S. citizen or national, is required to update address if you have a pending case. If you are a U.S. citizen or national and have submitted an affidavit of support for another person, you must submit Form I-865, Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address, within 30 days of your move.

Why It Is Imperative to Comply?

A willful failure to give written notice to the USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of moving to the new address is a misdemeanor crime.

If convicted, the foreign national (or the parent or legal guardian of a foreign national under 14 years of age who is required to give notice) can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. The foreign national may also be subject to removal from the United States.

Compliance with the requirement to notify the USCIS of any address change is also a condition of foreign national’s stay in the United States. Failure to comply could also jeopardize foreign national’s ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit.

We strongly encourage you to update your address to ensure you receive all correspondence and benefits from USCIS in a timely manner and avoid possible delays related to your case.

If you have any questions about address change with USCIS or need assistance with any type of immigration matter, please contact HSD Immigration via phone [(312) 291 1234] or email [rsingh@hsdimmigration.com].

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This field is required.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">html</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*This field is required.